Thursday, December 19, 2013

Zara Cully Brown of The Jeffersons: Thankful Thursday

Adopted Maternal Ancestry


Over the years, I have found that fellow genealogists and family historians are some of the kindest people.  They are very giving and most of the time very helpful.  I am very thankful for my fellow family historians, as I have gotten further ahead in my research because of their spirit of giving.  I have also been able to have my research embellished with photos, and other items that I may not have had unless my friends had not kept their eyes open for particular items.  I also enjoy doing the same for others.

Today, I want to thank my genealogy friend G. Johnson, whom I have never met, for purchasing a copy on ebay and sending me an Ebony Magazine from January 1976 Issue with a picture of my Grand Aunt Zara Cully Brown on the front cover.  

I have seen this particular issue, and I believe that it was in my mother's possession years ago, however we lost many of our old Ebony magazines from water damage.

This is a copy of the cover below:

Isabel Sanford, Sherman Hemsley, Zara Cully Brown
Ebony Magazine, January 1976 Issue
The Jefferson's

Zara Cully Brown was my Grand Aunt [My grandmother's sister.]  She was the daughter of Nora Ann Gilliam & Ambrose Osborne Cully, born in Worcester, MA on January 26, 1892.  Zara was the second to the eldest of 13 children.  She was raised in a family of performers.  She played the piano, however her specialty was reciting poetry and performing in plays.  

She was a elocutionist and an actress.  She performed at a very early age and it had been her desire to become an actress in Hollywood, which she accomplished in her Winter years.  

Zara gave birth to four children, of which 3 survived.  They were James, Jr. , Mary Gale & Emerson.  She was married to James M. Brown, Sr.

Zara died from Cancer on February 28, 1978.

Zara was the hope of her parents, a product of the First Fruits after the Reconstruction period.  It was a time of moving forward and making way for a better life after Slavery.  I believe that Zara, fulfilled that hope in her life...and just as the Jefferson's theme song is "Moving On Up!"  I believe Zara moved on up and made it happen in her life and I can clearly see it in the life of her descendants.  


13 comments:

  1. "Momma" Jefferson was something! Glad she had family that cared about her and continue to make her Family History known.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the nicest thing for you to say True! It makes me wonder who would let her story be told if I didn't. I just thank God that he has allowed me the opportunity to research and honor my ancestors. Thank you for reading my blog...It means the world to me.

      Delete
  2. I loved your aunt she was hilarious! I want to thank you for sharing this with us. We enjoyed having your aunt on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Wayne. She was a gem and I am so glad that she meant something to the world of acting. Something she was blessed to do. I know she loved all her fans.

      Delete
  3. How could we not remember your Aunt Zara?! She filled our youth with lots of endearing and familiar laughs! Such a wonderful gift to receive and generous act of kindness!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Luckie for your comments. I am so gracious for such a wonderful gift.

      Delete
    2. I just finished watching the episode of the Jefferson's when George wanted to dig up his father and bury him next to his mother. I loved watching the Jefferson's when it was on many years ago. I still watch the reruns. Mother Jefferson was a great actress. She brought so much to the series; for that reason I got on the computer to look up something about Zara Cully. Thanks for sharing her with us.

      Delete
  4. I'm am glad that I found your blog. For years I've bn looking for information on your aunt Zara Cully. I watch her on the Jefferson every Tuesday on TV1. She, along with the others, were great actors. Thnks for sharing a little history on your aunts life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for finding me. I appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  5. I was just watching the episode when she pretended to hurt her back by a fall. I think acting has gone so downhill since the days of the Jeffersons. Will always love your great aunt!!! Love, Deb Wong

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing biosketch. Miss Zara was a Grand Dame🌻

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately I did not have the privilege of meeting her in person but remember the thrill of seeing one of Daddy's relatives (his sister) on TV! Watching "The Jefferson's" weekly broadcast was a family event looked forward to and rarely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watch the Jefferson's every now and then. I love the show, and Mother Jefferson, well she makes me laugh, she's so funny, a great actress. I send much love and light to her spirit...

    ReplyDelete